ИНЖЕНЕРНАЯ ГЕОЛОГИЯ. ГИДРОГЕОЛОГИЯ. ГЕОКРИОЛОГИЯ
Geoekologiya, 2022, Vol. 3, P. 3-15
V. I. Osipov*,1, I. V. Galitskaya 1, V. G. Zaikanov 1
1 Sergeev Institute of Environmental Geoscience, Russian Academy of Sciences, Ulanskii per., 13, bld. 2, Moscow, 101000 Russia
The paper discusses a widely used practice in Russia of municipal waste (MSW) storage in dumps on open sites and in landscape depressions, which leads to ecological disturbance, environment pollution and worsening human life quality. The uncontrolled waste management and lacking scientific approach to this kind of economic activity is proved to be the main reason for this ongoing disturbance. The technogenic and nature-like technology is proposed for creating safe landfills, based on the biological decomposition with the use of a drainage system and utilization of waste gases and filtration effluents. The role of geological conditions in the creation of safe landfills is shown. It is noted that the landfill technology may form the basis of MSW management in Russia. It will ensure the MSW management system safety and reduce significantly expenses for waste management.
Keywords: sorting, processing and disposal of waste, recyclable and non-recyclable wastes, waste disposal technologies: incineration, pyrolysis, plasma treatment; landfill technology
- Voronkevich, S.D. Osnovy tekhnicheskoi melioratsii gruntov [Fundamentals of artificial improvement of soils and rocks]. Moscow, Nauchnyi mir Publ., 2005, 504 p. (in Russian)
2. Glushankova, I.S. Modelirovanie sostava fil’tratsionnykh vod sanitarnykh poligonov zakhoroneniya tverdykh bytovykh otkhodov [Modeling of waste water composition in the storage sites for solid municipal waste]. Geoekologiya, 2004, no. 4, pp. 334-341. (in Russian)
3. Goncharova, L.V. Osnovy isskustvennogo uluchsheniya gruntov [Fundamentals of artificial improvement of soils and rocks]. Moscow, MGU Publ., 1973, 376 p. (in Russian)
4. Kozliakova, I.V., Kozhevnikova, I.A., Anisimova, N.G., Ivanov, P.V. Inzhenerno-geologicheskoe raionirovanie Tsentral'nogo Federal'nogo okruga Rossii po usloviyam razmeshcheniya predpriyatii i poligonov utilizatsii tverdykh bytovykh otkhodov [Engineering geological zoning of the Central Federal okrug in Russia by the conditions for allocation of MSW storage sites and processing facilities]. Sergeevskie chteniya, vypusk 20. [Proc. Sci. Conference in commemoration of academician E.M. Sergeev, issue 20]. Moscow, RUDN Publ., 2018, pp. 74-77 (in Russian)
5. Mazurin, I., Ponurovskaya, V., Kolotukhin, S. O printsipial’noi neprigodnosti tekhnologii musoroszhiganiya dlya Rossii [About the absolute unsuitability of waste incineration technique for Russia]. URL: https://regnum.ru/news/innovatio/2512284.html (in Russian)
6. Mazurin, I.M, Ponurovskaya, V.V. Szhiganie musora nesovmestimo s kontseptsiei ustoichivogo razvitiya [Garbage incineration is incompatible with the sustainable development concept]. All-Russia interdisciplinary workshop at the Geological Faculty of Lomonosov Moscow State university “Planet Earth System”, January 31, 2017. URL: https://regnum.ru/news/innovatio/2240524.html (in Russian)
7. Mazurin, I.M., Ponurovskaya, V.V., Kolotukhin, S.P. Sistemnyi analiz zadachi pererabotki tverdykh bytovykh otkhodov [System analysis of the problem of processing municipal solid waste]. Vestnik RAEN, 2018, no. 5, pp. 76-84. (in Russian)
8. Osipov, V.I. Upravlenie tverdymi kommunal’nymi otkhodami kak federal’nyi ekologicheskii proekt [Management of municipal solid waste as the Federal ecological project]. Geoekologiya, 2019, no. 3, pp. 3-11. (in Russian)
9. Osipov, V.I. Chto luchshe- szhigat’ ili razlagat’ tverdye kommunal’nye otkhody? [What is better – to burn or to decompose municipal solid waste?]. Vestnik RAN, 2021, no. 8, pp. 769-778. (in Russian)
10. Osipov, V.I., Mamaev, Yu.A., Kozliakova, I.V. Territorial’noe razmeshchenie poligonov tverdykh kommunal’nykh otkhodov [Territorial allocation of municipal solid waste disposal sites]. Vestnik RAN, 2020, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 567-574. (in Russian)
11. Osipov, V.I., Sokolov, V.N. Gliny i ikh svoistva [Clays and their properties]. Moscow, GEOS Publ., 2013, 575 p. (in Russian)
12. Osipov, V.I., Filimonov, S.D. Uplotnenie i armirovanie slabykh gruntov metodom “Geokompozit” [Compaction and reinforcing of weak soils using the Geocomposite method]. Osnovaniya, fundamenty i mekhanika gruntov, 2002, no. 5, pp. 15-21. (in Russian)
13. Patent 2015248 RU. Sposob sozdaniya protivofil’tratsionnoi zavesy v lessovom grunte [The method of creating an anti-seepage curtain in loess soil]. Authors: Osipov, V.I., Filimonov, S.D., Mel’nikov, B.N., Kail’ E.V. Izobreteniya, 1994, no. 12, p. 95. (in Russian)
14. Rybal’chenko, V.S., Rybal’chenko I.V. Perevod diskussii o sposobakh utilizatsii musora iz ploskosti biznes-reshenii v sferu nauchnogo obsuzhdeniya kak vazhneishaya gosudarstvennaya zadacha [Transfer of the discussion about the garbage utilization methods from the area of business solutions to the scientific discussion as the most important state task]. Ekologicheskii vestnik Rossii, 2019, no. 8, pp. 28-33. (in Russian)
15. Barlaz, M.A., Schaefer, D.M., Ham, R.K. Bacterial population development and chemical characteristics of refuse decomposition in a simulated sanitary landfill. Applied and environmental microbiology, 1989, vol. 55, no.1, pp. 55–65.
16. Bozkurt, S., Moreno, L., Neretnieks, I. Long-term fate of organics in waste deposits and its effect on metal release. The Science of the total environment, 1999, vol. 228, no. 2-3, pp. 135–152.
17. Ehrig, H.-J. Quality and quantity of sanitary landfill leachate. Waste management and research, 1983, vol. 1, pp. 53–68.
18. Elliott, P., Eaton, N., Shaddick, G., Carter, R. Cancer incidence near municipal solid was nоt incinerators in Great Britain. Part 2: Histopathological and casenote review of primary liver cancer cases. British Journal of Cancer, 2000, vol. 85, no.5, pp.1103-1106. DOI: 10.1054.bjoc.1999.1046.
19. Harmsen, J. Identification of organic compounds in leachate from a waste tip. Water research, 1983, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 699–705.
20. Javier Garsia-Pereza, Pablo Fernandez-Navarroa, Adela Castelloa, Maria Lopez-Cima, Rebeca Ramis, Elena Boldo, Gonzalo Lopez-Abente. Cancer mortality in towns in the vicinity of incinerators and installations for the recovery or disposal of hazardous waste. Environment International, 2013, vol. 51, pp. 31-44.